Wedding Wednesday- Nana Tweedle's Wedding

September 12, 2012

I met my husband-to-be Douglas at a dance in my home town of Battleford, Saskatchewan in 1946, shortly after he returned from serving in the Royal Canadian Air Force during World War Two. We were engaged for two years, and finally decided we weren’t getting any younger so we set the date for October 27, 1948. I was twenty-four years old, and he was thirty.
Here is a photo of us in 1947, during our engagement
Fourtunately, I saved all the keepsakes from my wedding in this book. 
My parents had these invitations printed and mailed to our guests. 

Since my grandmother had just died, we planned a small church wedding with a reception at home. That morning, three of my aunts came over early to the house to make sandwiches. I was still in bed, and my best friend Joan was sleeping over. I remember Joan made me take my diary and all my old love letters from other fellows, and throw them into the wood-burning stove!
I wore a long, white dress sewn by a local seamstress. It was white with a faint brocade pattern, with long sleeves and covered buttons. I borrowed my fingertip-length wedding veil from Doug’s sister, and had fresh carnations in my hair.
When my father and I came out of the house to go to the church, the breeze blew my veil against a shrub growing at the gate and my Dad was so anxious that he grabbed my veil and inadvertently tore it. I remember saying to him: “Gosh, you must be in a hurry to get rid of me!”
My attendants were my friend Joan, and my only sister Peggy. They were actually matrons of honour, because both were already married. Douglas’s brother was the best man. Peggy wore a long pink silk dress, and Joan wore a long blue dress in a different style. We weren’t so concerned about matching colours in those days. Note how all three of us wore veils. Here is a snapshot of Peggy, left, and Joan, right, standing with us on the front steps.
We had a lovely service at the church and then came back to our house, where lunch was served in our dining room. We had sandwiches and tea, and all the relatives brought cookies and cakes. Two silver tea services were set up. One of Mother’s friends had been asked to pour tea at one end of the table and another friend poured coffee at the other end.
My father had turned one of the bedrooms upstairs into the place where the booze was being served and he called it “the snake room.” You had to have a drink in case you got bitten! Mostly the guys went up there but once in a while one of the women, too. One of the guests spent so much time in the snake room that my godfather decided to take him home. Within half an hour, he was back again. This time my uncle took him home, and told him not to come back. But sure enough, he came back for a third time!
I had a guest book, in which we listed all the wedding gifts. You can see by this page from my wedding book that I also kept track of the dates that I sent my thank-you notes. 

For a wedding gift, Doug gave me a gold compact and matching lipstick case. I saved the note that he enclosed with his gift. 
At the reception, we read aloud about a dozen telegrams we had received from friends and relatives. In those days people sent telegrams if they wanted the message to be received on the same day. 

After the reception, we caught the evening train to Edmonton. A bunch of guests came to the station to see us off, and one of them hid our luggage for a joke. We had our own compartment on the train with a berth. Our honeymoon only lasted for one weekend, since we both had to work on Monday. 
Here’s a copy of our hotel room receipt, and our train ticket. The third piece of paper is the liquor permit we had to have before we could supply liquor to our guests. 

In those days all weddings were written up in detail and published in the local newspapers. Here is a copy of our newspaper clipping. 
After our marriage we began a successful farming operation now owned by our son, and raised three children. We were married for fifty-five years, until my husband died in 2003.
At the age of eighty-seven, I enjoyed attending my granddaughter’s wedding on December 31st, 2011. Here are the three generations: Me (Nana Tweedle) on the left and my eldest daughter Mama Tweedle on the right of the bride, Miss Tweedle.



  1. This brings a tear to my eye! What a special thing to have all of these memories - photos, articles, the bridal book.

  2. Lovely! Very special :)

  3. Love this! I agree with Holly, my eyes are also a little teary. I also love that the bridesmaids wore veils!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...