It's tomato season! If you are like us, you are now busily harvesting pounds and pounds of tomatoes before the frost gets them. I thought of this handy little trick for preserving tomatoes a few years ago and it has become one of our favourite ways to eat tomatoes.
|Start with a tray full of tomatoes, cut into same-sized chunks.|
|Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper and pop them in a 200 degree (low and slow) for about 4 hours.|
|When they come out, they look like this- caramelized and all the flavours concentrated.|
|I just put them in containers and either put in the fridge to use right away or in the freezer to save for later.|
They are so darn tasty, you will want to eat your weight it tomatoes!
Here are some ideas for what you could do with them:
- put them in pasta sauces or soups
- add a layer to your lasagna
- toss them with parmesan cheese, basil and pasta for an easy supper
- serve them with a nice crusty bread as an appie (they taste like bruschetta, but better!)
- add them to omelettes or scrambled eggs
- add them to grilled cheese sandwiches